Monday, June 9, 2014

NOLA


Wind and rain didn't stop us from reaching New Orleans, LA. Seeing a bed and pillow the moment I walked through the doors of camp hope (our host), made me squeal in excitement. As much as I love blowing hot air into my thermarest every night, it was nice to catch a break. 

The first night we hit the French Quarters and Bourbon street. These streets reminded me of last Thursday on Alberta Street at home. Music, bars, dancing, and original people made the street so entertaining. 

On our first day off, I caught up on sleep and prepared for the 5 build days ahead. We worked with St. Bernard's project all week, which was incredible. As an ice breaker to get to know the SBP workers, we told our coolest scar stories. My leader, Dan told the my favorite scar story. Excited that he graduated, he jumped to hit a sign where he tore up his finger. The doctor who performed reconstructive surgery on his finger took skin from his leg...the skin on his finger now grows hair. We all were in hysterics to find this out. It's been 3 weeks with each other and no one even noticed. 

At the build site, we painted, sanded, and used putty on the walls. Days of work were long and hot, but we enjoyed each other by belting out country and pop music while getting the job done. We got a little weird and started painting our faces tribal style. 







No comments:

Post a Comment