Friday, May 30, 2014

BONKING


Made it through two of the longest back-to-back rides yet. Wednesday we headed from De Funiak Springs, FL. to Gulf Breeze, FL. Traveling a century (100 miles) through strong gusts of head wind.  It wasn't until mile 86 when I caught a serious case of "bonking." My cleets no longer wanted to clip into my pedals, my bladder was so full I could barely contain the pain, and the zombie-like expression started to take over my face. Pushing through the last and hardest 15 miles was mentally draining, but such an accomplishment. 

Thursday, we were eager to cross the boarder into Mobile, Alabama. My favorite day of riding through a down pour of rain and booming thunder. The amount of back spray from the bike wheel in front of me to enter into my mouth was disgustingly enough to keep me hydrated. Reaching the first lunch, in desperate need of food, I unshamefully stuffed an entire pb&j sandwich into my mouth with just one bite. When bonking, we will take desperate measures to fuel up. The best part of the 95.5 mike ride was taking a ferry at mile 60 to get to Mobile. The 40 minute cruise along the water made a great resting break and pretty scene of the unfimiliar surroundings. Making it to the host sopping wet clothes, while knowing the hot shower was in sight was magical. I had never been so excited to take a shower in my life. 

Today, we had our 3rd build day working with Habitat For Humanity. Ashley, Emma, and I teamed up to saw wood for the wall edging and painted floor boards. In all good fun, 5 of us working together in the same house plotted a dance attack on another house. Pretending to be sneaky, we hid behind cars, next to the house, and climbed through the window. Without being seen, we caught them if guard dancing our way around their house project. We thought we were hilarious, as for them, they're still in the process of coming out of their nutshells. 
To end the night, we held a bike clinic for children. We tuaght them about the bike life, and encouraged them to ride safely. With big smiles on their faces, they rode like pros around a mini obstacle course we created for them. 

                Peanut butter jelly time


                  Cutting wood
            
         Build day Jumping in the rain



No comments:

Post a Comment